Monday, April 29, 2013

Jimmy Buffet had it right:  Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes


I’ve spent the last couple of years commuting from Moose Landing, nestled in the tranquil and beautiful Pacific Northwest, to New York to fly domestically as Captain on the MD-88, a 150 seat narrowbody jet.  It’s been a truly enjoyable, challenging experience… a new airplane I had never flown before with new routes north and southbound along the east coast, and lots and lots of takeoffs and landings… and now that era of my flying career is coming to an end.

I came to the conclusion early on that while the flying was good and the people were great, the commute from the upper left corner of the map to the Big Apple was extremely time consuming, exhausting and difficult, and that I could not do it forever.

So now the time has come to return to west coast flying, international routes, and an easier lifestyle that doesn’t include a transcontinental commute.  Starting in June, I’ll train on the Boeing 767 and begin flying out of Seattle.

And while leaving the MD-88… affectionately known as the MadDog... is bittersweet, there are adventures in my future that really get me excited.  The MD-88 is my first Captaincy, and it’s sad to put that venerable airplane, the wonderful flight crews and the fun flying in my rearview mirror, but tomorrow is a new day, and the entire globe awaits.

The flying out of Seattle is some of the best in the world, and I’m not exaggerating in the slightest.  Europe, Asia, Hawaii, and the entirety of the United States are going to be my backyard playground again, and I couldn't be more excited.

So stick around, and check my blog often.  I’ll be talking about travel, offering tips, tricks and techniques for cheap, exciting travel, and I’ll also be shooting videos from the road to share my adventures with you.  I welcome your feedback, and I’d love to hear from you! 

I want to hear about YOUR adventures in travel.  I want to hear about your plans, your challenges, and your accomplishments.  Tell me what you’ve done and what you want to do on your next Adventure Layover.  Share your own tips and tricks, your own adventures, and send me feedback about what you’ve learned.

The Adventure is about to begin anew, so get ready to start planning your next Adventure Layover!

Happy Travels!

Moose

No comments:

Post a Comment